The evolving technology that will make us better content marketers

On the Brand Storytelling podcast, we are joined by Pete Williams, Founder of Deloitte Digital Australia and Chief Edge Officer for Deloitte Centre for the Edge to talk about new technology and innovations content marketers can use in their brand strategies.

With new distribution platforms being made available to publishers, content marketers are now pushing content through multiple channels to connect it with the right audience.

Already this year we have seen the effects of virtual reality content with the phenomenon of Pokemon GO and now Snapchat releasing ‘Spectacles’ to allow users to capture content hands-free. 

Pete Williams also founded Rexter Consulting, speaking to businesses and agencies on how organisations can implement rapidly changing technology in a fast paced environment. 

Subscribe on: iTunes | Stitcher | TuneIn | iHeartRadio or an RSS feed of your choice! 

Download the episode here

In this episode: 

  • The types of content loved by search engines. 
  • The rate of technology being developed and released and how content marketers can use these resources. 
  • How storytellers position themselves to make the most of the changing world around them.
  • How Pete developed Deloitte Digital and the Centre for the Edge to help brands engage with new technology and innovations. 

Preview of the show: 

Rakhal Ebeli: It’s interesting isn’t it that the algorithms that we’re starting to become accustom to, particularly Penguin with Google and so for that really do benefit the content creators that are putting a humanistic lens on particularly the written material that they’re creating. Yet at the same time, it’s all algorithms. Do you see that there’s an intuitive nature of these algorithms trying to actually promote humanistic content at the same time? It’s quite bizarre.

Pete Williams: But even if you go back to Microsoft Word and those functioning there that effectively gave you readability scores. For somebody to understand this they would have had to have done 17 years of education. You’re like, “Okay. That might be a little bit tough.” I think we’ve always had that capacity to some level. What’s really changed in the last 10 years is with numbers its very easy to manipulate around that or an understanding and pulling sense out of, because they’re fixed. It’s math. Whereas unstructured data like text, that’s taken us a bit longer. That’s where we’re seeing so much technology development. I do a bit of work in the legal area and we’re doing work across millions of documents on major legal cases and extracting meaning content relationships between words and actions and sense making using data visualization. I think those technologies always been around but it’s how we’ve used them.

I think the other one from a content marketing point of view is you have the one I have to work hardest on, particularly on kids out of Uni is, when you’re in Uni you were writing to impress. I’ve read anything that everybody’s written and here’s my point of view in some jargon or taxonomy that nobody can understand. Whereas as a business sort of research publisher it’s very much about how can I take a complex topic and provide some meta layer of how to understand it and then give examples and then hopefully give some ideas and action points take. Which is where Centre for the Edge applies, what’s happening on the edges or coming down the pipe. How do I actually make people make sense of that?

I think that’s the sort of challenge for content marketers and marketers in general. That we’ll have tools, we’ll have technologies, but let’s step back and really think about who are we trying to work with, who are we trying to help. Goes back to my point. Are we targeting and campaigning for a short run boost in sales or are we looking at a fundamentally different relationship that we could have with people? I think those marketers that use content and data to build trust, to leverage that trust and scale it, are the ones that succeed in the long term. Those ones that are interested in very short-term performance kick ups will find that the market pretty well sees through them.

I think that another, I’m sorry this is a long answer, but I think another point is that you see through that marketing stuff. You see these ads and communications that come out and you just think, “Do they think I’m dumb?” Maybe there are a number of people who, at a point, there’s 5% of people if you were offering them something who will buy anything. I think for the other 95% of us we sort of say throw in … The younger you are the more sort of well attuned your bullshit meter is to content marketing that is crap.


The Humans are Dead – Flight of the Concords (Audio)

7 ways technology can make you a smarter content marketer

Centre for the Edge

Follow Pete Williams on Twitter